12826847

My car was slightly damaged while I manoeuvred but the cost

Customer Question

My car was slightly damaged while I manoeuvred but the cost of repair was £880. No third party or other vehicle involved. I contacted my insurers RAC Insurance by phone and said I wanted to claim. The call was taken by a poor speaker of English and after taking details she informed me I have to ring another number and repeat it all. I decided to write a letter on 24 Nov. with full details of claim. No reply has been received. I am not going to waste any more time on the phone. How can I get them to take action?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry but I am not going to be able to give you good news.
You are perfectly free to claim of course. If your insurance extends to damage of this kind then you do have a claim.
However, you do have to report it to them and a request that you phone a different number which was probably the claims line is a reasonable one.
If you don't call them then you can't force them to act at all.
You could complain to the Ombudsman but probably they would tell you they are not at fault because you haven't reported it in the prescribed way.
I'm very sorry but that is the reality.