Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My choir were due to sing in a 'massed choirs' event in Cardiff

Customer Question

My choir were due to sing in a 'massed choirs' event in Cardiff in May 2016. We were advised to book accommodation early and did so through a local tour company; paying a £2,000 deposit on behalf of the 40 choir members. The massed choir event organisers have emailed today to say that they are having to 'postpone' the event due to organisational issues but do not hold themselves liable for any costs incurred by participating choirs. Since this will mean that my choir is out of pocket by £2,000, where do we stand legally?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Did you have a written contract with the event organiser?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a booking confirmation that shows we paid a £100 registration fee but accommodation and transport were an independent arrangement with a local company
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok does the booking confirmation give them the right to amend or cancel the event without liability?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Booking form makes no reference to liability. Tried to paste it here but the site won't allow me to do this.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will make an offer so that you can email me the form.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the link to the website http://corworldchoir.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What little we have has been sent through to you.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is very little indeed. When you paid the registration fee were you sent anything to confirm this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent through the confirmation but, again, very brief.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I've just sent you an email.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing come through yet
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Good luck with this Steve and do come back to me in the future should you need to.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
One further thought Steve, do a screenshot of their website to prove that they are still advertising the event today. This may be useful in event if they disable the site at a future point in time.