Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My brother was left a quarter share of half of my parents house

My brother was left a quarter share of half of my parents house in my Dad's will, with the proviso that my Mum who retained a 50% share could live in the house as long as needed. My brother recently passed away ( after my Father but before my Mother ) and my Mother has removed his name from her will. What will happen to the share my brother was left in Dad's will. My parents had mirror wills and were tenants in common.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Your Brother's share in the house passes in accordance with his Will, or if he had not made a Will, it will pass to his next of kin, in accordance with the Intestacy Rules.
This is because he was alive upon your Father's death, and therefore the share passed to him, subject to him of course allowing your Mother to remain living in the property.
I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Al