Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

An ex-student has gone on record to my employer stating that

Customer Question

An ex-student has gone on record to my employer stating that I use prostitutes. This has discredited me. The student also made unfounded allegations against me. Do I have a case of libel and/or slander?
Antony Antoniou
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Antony, you can maintain an action for defamation against this ex-student so long as any allegations made are false. This is because it is a requirement that any allegation sued upon in defamation must be false. However, using prostitutes, when you don't, would normally be considered defamatory, as it involves potential criminal activity. So too would the making of unfounded allegations. Accordingly, I would advise you to see a solicitor with a view towards issuing defamation proceedings against this ex-student. Normally, you will have to put the solicitor in funds to get defamation proceedings issued. Legal aid will not be possible for defamation proceedings. However, you should get substantial damages for any defamation action of this nature. The law jealously guards a person's reputation.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please RATE the Answer as unless you RATE the Answer your Expert receives none of the monies you have paid the website so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.