75100385

The financial Ombudsman has not upheld a complaint I made with

The financial Ombudsman has not upheld a complaint I made with an insurer after an expensive car was stolen from my driveway. Their explanation was a 'keys in or on the car clause'. In panic during my interview with them I stated that I thought I had left my key in a grey boot bag in the car, 7 months prior to the theft. Since that time the bag had been moved in and out of the car hundreds of times and I stated that I did not know and couldn't confirm that the key was actually in or on the vehicle when it was stolen. I was unable to produce the spare key and they judged on the 'balance of probabilities' that I did not have a claim to make.
Is there anything I can do? This happened a while ago now (nearly 24 months I think).
Cheers,
Paul Dutton
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is the cost of the claim please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Approximately £21k return to Net invoice value GAP insurance was taken out but as the claim never got that far, because of the repudiation I've never dealt with them directly.
When did the Ombudsman make the decision?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
8th October 2014
Ok. Its bad news I am afraid. You only have 3 months to seek a Judicial Review of the Ombudsman decision. Your only and final option now is to go to Court.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk  or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.