Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Marks and Spencer have a 15minute rule when ordering party

Marks and Spencer have a 15minute rule when ordering party food online. When you have placed the order you have 15 minutes to change or cancel the order. I had used the wrong delivery day and wanted to cahange it. I tried to access my order but was unable to because the website did not recognise the order number as it can take up to 15 minutes to get on the system. 15 minutes later the conformation email arrived advising me of the 15 minute rule. The 15 minutes where already up but I thought I would try it took 48 minutes to connect to their website where James told me that there was nothing that could be done. My order was set in stone, no changes no cancellation.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How much was the order? Did you pay with a credit card? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AJ,
Sorry for the delay I had to go to work.
Also I have had to change my email address to***@******.***
The order was for £32. The 15min rule is inforced no matter what the amount of the order.
I paid with a Mastercard from M&S Bank.
Does consumer rights give me the right to cancell????
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you. Technically yes you should be allowed to cancel as Marks and Spencer are relying on their own failing to avoid liability. What I would recommend is the following:- Contact Master Card and see if you get them to agree to do charge back and let them pick up the dispute. The banking arm of M&S is separate from retail;- Given the small amount of money - complain to trading standards -https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office​Unfortunately it is not worth going to sue them for this as the court fee far outweighs the value of the claim.