13262538

Can a solicitor have a lein over a deceased person

Customer Question

HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstCould you explain a little more about the situation please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My late fathers will was left with a solicitor for safe keeping he didn't make out the will. Prior to my fathers death the solicitor had done some work for him but had got pai
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He also paid a barrister after being instructed not to do so which was in dispute prior to the death
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My network went down are you still on line
So the solicitor is withholding the Will until the bill is paid is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is correct
Out of interest - have they said who do they expect to pay the bill - given that nothing can be done with the estate until Probate has been granted?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are looking me to pay for it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also due to him holding the will a planning application has lapsed on a mobile phone mast site and we have lost50,000 over the head of it
May I ask when your father died?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My father is dead about 15 weeks
I suggest that you write to the Solicitors and remind them that this is a debt of the Estate; and that the Estate cannot pay this debt until Probate has been obtained and that cannot be obtained unless the Will is released.
You may also wish to refer them to this page
http://communities.lawsociety.org.uk/private-client/news-and-updates/private-client-section-commentary/faq-lien-on-a-will/5049882.article
I appreciate that you are in Northern Ireland - but the same principle applies
Please ask if you need further details