13262538

My wife and I (now aged 75 & 80 respectively) bought our present

Customer Question

My wife and I (now aged 75 & 80 respectively) bought our present house 15 years ago. Our son (now aged 51) has also lived with us since that time. He and our married daughter are the sole beneficiaries of our joint will, but we are naturally concerned about his legal position regarding our house in the future. Regrettably we did not anticipate this situation arising at the time, otherwise we may have given some thought to, or sought some advice on, how to overcome it, e.g. listing him on the deeds. Is this now possible?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.What financial contribution does your son make to the household?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Clare, and thank you for trying to help resolve my problem.
Being family we do not have a "landlord/tenant" arrangement for contributions. He normally pays for the weekly family food etc. bills, which probably equates approximately to £500.00 per month.
To help you understand the situation, I should explain that he only earns a minimum wage and, therefore, stands little or no chance of finding a place of his own. Hence our concern for his future.
Please let me know if I can help any further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had internet problems with this, so it might reach you in a slightly unusual way!Regards
Tony
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
For clarity - I assume that you are concerned about what would happen if either you or your wife needed residential care?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I can phone you later if that is ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our son's security is a major concern, but you are quite right that the "residential accommodation" issue might also come into the equation, though we would hope not.
If it would help I am still willing to discuss with you on the telephone.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
is now a suitable tiime for me to call?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am here for the remainder of the afternoon
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies - a Court hearing ran over - can I call you after 8 or would you prefer the morning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My turn for apologies Clare! I failed to pick up my messages last evening - but this morning would be fine.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I hope it all made sense - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare! Hope you enjoyed your Christmas.Thank you for your very helpful advice during our telephone conversation. I have since been in touch with my mortgage provider and am now awaiting an appointment with an adviser to discuss my situation.I will let you know the outcome.Best regards,Tony.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I had a quiet but contented christmas thank you Tony. I hope all goes well