Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Am already married years now and my EEA national

hi am already married for 4 years now and my EEA national things are not working out anymore and am we planning on divorcing in d new year and am working full time so after five years will i be eligible for permanent residency in uk thanks..
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes, you will be entitled to permanent residency in the UK after five years lawful residence in the UK. However, you should not have a final divorce decree until those five years are up, as otherwise your right to live in the UK as the family member of an EEA CITIZEN will expire, if you divorce. The key issue is the final divorce decree. There is no problem is you only have a decree nisi or interim decree. It is only on the making of a final divorce decree that you would lose your right to live in the UK as a family member of an EEA citizen. However, once the five years continuous residence have been satisfied, you can claim permanent residency and after a year of permanent residency you can become a UK citizen.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please RATE the Answer as unless you RATE the answer your Expert will receive none of the money you have paid the website so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The feed back was excellent and thanks I feel a lot better ..