12826847

There My name is ***** ***** I was involved in a minor

Customer Question

Hi there
My name is ***** ***** I was involved in a minor damage only car collision early in October. It was my fault and I exchanged details with the injured party. I also reported it to the police via the non emergency number. I contacted my insurance company and I supplied all information requested by the underwriters.
Today (Saturday) I received a letter from the injured party's solicitor containing an ordinary civil bill suing me for a sum of money and giving me 21 days to dispute the claim.
I've spoken to the injured party and she informed me that she still doesn't have her car fixed despite informing her that they would pay. There appears to have been a delay in the processing of paper work; the insurance company had asked her to supply her with information twice that she had already supplied. She was shocked that I had received this letter and understood that her solicitor would be approaching my insurance company, not me directly.... What should I do in response?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Have you spoken to your insurers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried they won't be open until Monday
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Just pass this onto your insurers. They are liable on your behalf.
Sometimes third party insurers do send things out to the driver rather than the insurers by mistake. It matters not. Your insurers will deal with this.
I would recommend doing anything at all. You don't want to admit liability or otherwise do something contrary to interest. This is for your insurance company to sort out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo. So it's unlikely I'll have to personally seek legal representation and appear in court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No.
If you do then you would have a claim against your insurers as they are liable on your behalf.