Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have split up with my wife. We have two daughters, one 1.5

I have split up with my wife. We have two daughters, one 1.5 and second 3.5. Should my ex-wife let me know where is she taking our daughters? I mean if she goes somewhere out or traveling.
Ingars
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
If she has the main care of the children then she will be managing their day to day activities and would not need to consult you. As long as you were married when the children were born you will have parental responsibility and she will need to consult you regarding making decision regarding their upbringing such as their religion, education and health issues.
If she wishes to take them outside of the UK, for example on holiday, she will need to obtain your consent. If you do not provide your consent and she still attempts to leave, then you will be able to apply for a prohibited steps order to prevent this - however you will need to demonstrate to the court that it is in the best interests of the children for them not to leave the UK.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.