75100385

I was stopped and detained by the Police about 4 weeks ago

Customer Question

I was stopped and detained by the Police about 4 weeks ago for driving under the influence of drugs and being unfit to drive. I was also found in possession of 1.2g of cannabis. I had a street caution for possession and was taken to the police station where I had a blood test. I was given unconditional bail and I am due to return to the police station in mid January to be charged and would expect to go to court a few weeks later.
I have now received from the DVLA a letter stating that they have received information from the police suggesting that I have a medical condition affecting my ability to drive safely. I have the option to give up driving or if I do not wish to surrender my driving licence, to undergo medical investigations to assess my fitness to drive.
If I surrender my driving licence will this prevent me being banned or obtaining a criminal record?. A further question the letter from the DVLA includes a "canenqreply" asking how long I have been using cannabis and other questions. By submitting this could it be used as an admission of guilt by the police?
If I do surrender my licence how long would I need to leave it before undergoing medical examination and reapplying for my licence.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
How old are you please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 18 currently, and turning 19 in February next year.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I surrender my driving licence will this prevent me being banned or obtaining a criminal record?.
You would only get a criminal record if convicted in Court. If you are not convicted then if you surrender then you wont have a criminal record.
A further question the letter from the DVLA includes a "canenqreply" asking how long I have been using cannabis and other questions. By submitting this could it be used as an admission of guilt by the police?
No.
You can reapply at any time, there is no minimum time limit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Alex,To clarify this, if I surrender my licence before attending the Police station in January, will this cause the Police to not proceed with the prosecution for DUI on the basis that I have voluntarily taken myself off the road.Would this be the best course of action?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily - its still a mater for the Police. You can ask the Police if this is what you do, can they not proceed.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it likely that they would? I have started a drug rehab counselling course and have good support from my parents and school. I guess I'm hoping that if we show that I realise I've made a mistake and am taking action to fix it, they may decide it's not worth taking it to court. What's the liklihood of this?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
The Police may but if you were driving under influence they may just caution you. Its really a matter for the Police.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so thanks. I'll see the arresting officer with my Mum and see if he has any discretion to not proceed. I assume having that kind of dialogue won't prejudice my position?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No not at all. You can say you will surrender or even see if a caution is available.
Does that clarify?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/