12826847

I am a British citizen and was on holiday in Zimbabwe last

Customer Question

I am a British citizen and was on holiday in Zimbabwe last October. We had a road traffic accident in which a pedestrian was killed. The person who was driving ran away and the case has been put on me since it was my car we were using. The police made no effort to hunt the culprit down. I consulted a lawyer who helped me to get back here to the UK. They have set a court date for the 6th of Jan 2016 and has been advised by my lawyer to attend otherwise they would apply for me to be extradritated back to Zimbabwe to face trial. The justice system in that country is so corrupt and am scared that I would not get a fair trial. Do I have any grounds to refuse to go?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Has an extradition request been made?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it hasn't. It's just my lawyer from Zimbabwe who informed me that the police were thinking of going down that route since they knew I had left the country.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. This is a big topic - may I suggest a telephone call?