12826847

We have been summoned to be prosecution witnesses at the magistrates

Customer Question

We have been summoned to be prosecution witnesses at the magistrates court. We had already retracted our statements. It is our wonderful grandson who is accused. Please help us.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do we have to attend? Thank you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you are on a summons then failing to attend is a contempt of court. It isn't often prosecuted but it is a contempt in theory.
There are also offences under the Magistrates Court Act 1980 in refusing to give evidence.
Most likely though, they would just seek a witness warrant and get the police to pick you up under arrest. That is fairly unlikely as well as officers don't often attend court any more but that is more likely than the prospect of them prosecuting you.