12826847

Can i get arrested a facebook message that was

Customer Question

can i get arrested for sending a facebook message that was nasty and insulting but not threatening? i sent one message only off a fake account to a girl that provoked me in the street a day earlier. she has no idea it was me but i heard she reported it to the police. will they trace my ip address and arrest me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i said something like 'where do you get off starting a verbal attack on a pregnant woman you flimsy little bitch. you aint hard or clever or big and the next time you so much as breath at jo the wrong way i will be in your shop and then you will know whats f*****g hit you' .... does it look bad? i dont want to go to jail. i have a clean record.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you could. It is a malicious communication because of the swearing. There is no prospect of you going to prison and, in fact, they will probably offer a police caution because it is a nonsense. It might even be resolved with a fixed penalty fine. This is the type of thing that none of us would waste our time on if we had discretion. Can I claridy anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so wil they definetly try to trace me or are they most likely to just tell her to just not go on social media sites?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would they actually use all the resources necessary to track my isp then my ip and then try to obtain my address just for this one message? or will they see that it was clearly a provoked response?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It isn't all that likely they would do an IP trace but I presume she can identify you so it is easy to do so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how could they identify me? wouldnt they just see it as for tit for tat for her provoking me?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, I would imagine she would be able to say who are you?
Yes, they would probably see that but it is still an offence. Most domestics are the biggest load of nonsense you have ever heard in your life but the police still have to act upon them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she doesnt know it was me it was sent off a fake account she thinks its a member of my family or a friend?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If she can't identify you then they could do an IP search. It is easy to do.
I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will rate it just one more question. if they somehow do identify it as me will they tell her it was me or are they not allowed to tell her who it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They are allowed to tell her.
They might not to avoid reprisals but they are not always very responsible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i always thought they would need a court order to obtain my address information from my network provider and that they would only do that in extreme cases where rape or murder is being threatened?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No. This is the detection of crime. The police can seize IP addresses using their powers.
A court would hand out this information upon the request of any person who could show the barest claim anyway.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so they will trace and arrest me then :(
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They will probably trace you.
They are not likely to arrest you. They will just invite you in voluntarily.