13262538

Split up with fiancée she's selling our house and despite paying conservatory

Split up with fiancée she's selling our house and despite paying for the conservatory £8000, building a home office £5000 and converting the garage £2000 and I invested in her business £4000 but she didn't use it for her business she bought and sold stuff on eBay some of which she still has. Is there any hope for me.
Regards John
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi JohnThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?How much did the work you have done increase the value of the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
House worth £220,000
About 140,000
Conservatory £16,000, cabin £3500 garage £3000
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
So if the work had not been done the property would be worth £23,000 less
Could you prove that if necessary - would an Estate Agent agree?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I think so I can also get a statement from my neighbour that helped me a bit
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
It is the valuation issue that is crucial
Who actually owns the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ex fiancee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's going on the market on 26th of December
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
i take it she never paid you back for any of this work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not a penny I also leant her £4000 that was supposed to save her business but the business was already past saving but I didn't know this at the time and she spent the money on eBay buying stuff she still owns today
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThe fact that you paid towards alterations and improvement that have increased the value of the property means that you have a financial claim on the proceeds of sale.This could be either in the form of the money spent on the property - or a share equivalent to the "added value" you have created.If necessary you can make an application using the Trusts if land and Appointment of Trustees Act to make the claimYour starting point is to try and negotiate with your ex using Family mediationwww.familymediationhelpline.co.ukPlease ask if you need further detailsClare