12826847

Does the erecting of ropes across a road constitute an offense,

Customer Question

Does the erecting of ropes across a road constitute an offense, if so, which traffic law does this offend?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The question relates to an incident that occurred to me recently when I was out for a cycle ride and rode around a corner to find ropes had been erected across the road, unfortunately I rode into them sustaining an injury. There was no-one in attendance of the obstruction and only a few minutes later did a Herdsman appear, he had placed the ropes to enable him to herd some cows across the road from one field to another.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
This is a public road maintained by the council?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is, a country lane between two villages in North Dorset, Yetminster and Leigh.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Then that is causing an obstruction.
It is a thing over the road even if it is not actually upon it. There is no way around it.
You will find the offence here
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/part/IX/crossheading/obstruction-of-highways-and-streets
Also S28 Town Police Clauses Act 1847 makes it an offence to obstruct the street to the distraction, annoyance or danger of residents or passengers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou that has clarified the information that I need. No further questions now.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
All the best.