Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'm aware that tickets sold online recent Rugby World

Customer Question

I'm aware that tickets sold online for the recent Rugby World Cup were "covered" in most part by the Consumer rights Act 2015 and tickets were not allowed to be "onsold".
If an individual had "onsold" a ticket at above the face value, I understand that he/she would be subject to blacklisting by the RWC Event Organiser and possibly some action from the Weights and Measures Dept. but is there any specific legislation that "covers" the act of onselling the ticket at a price above (or below) the face value?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. The process of "scalping" which is selling on tickets bought from an event organiser at a price above or even below the ticket face value is not prohibited in the UK, nor is it legislated against. The law leaves the issue of scalping to the free market of supply and demand, taking the view that persons must protect themselves when either buying or selling tickets which were previously bought from an event organiser. The important point with the RWC is that the organisers have attempted to insert a contractual provision preventing the onselling or scalping of tickets. This is purely a contractual restriction and it can only bind the person who buys the ticket from the event organiser, not any other person in a chain of ticket resellers who might sell the ticket on. Accordingly, the initial purchaser can be liable in damages to the event organiser, but the event organiser will have to prove loss, which is nearly impossible to do in most instances. The more obvious sanction of not selling tickets to this person again in possible. However, that lacks immediacy and can itself be circumvented by scalping.