12826847

A tenant gave me 1 month notice to quit sent by text, this

A tenant gave me 1 month notice to quit sent by text, this was only a month into a 6 month AST but under the circumstances I accepted as she stated she had to get away from an abusive boyfriend who had been to the property and smashed the windows and her belongings(the police did attend). She contacted me a week later saying she wanted to keep the property and was getting a restraining order to keep the boyfriend away so I agreed. I have now discovered she is still with him my question is am I compelled to allow her to return
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Never get involved with people making allegations of abuse. They are nothing but trouble. Even if she had an abusive boyfriend, that is not your problem.
If you have agreed to allow her to return then you are locked in. You could try to argue that you agreed on the basis of incorrect information but it isn't the best point.
If she has him living there and he is not on the tenancy agreement though then you could try to evict her on the basis that she has allowed another person to move in. I am not sure I could recommend that either because she will just go to court and play the victim and use words like 'controlling' and 'possessive' that she has read online and thought would make a good excuse.
You would be able to end the AST very soon anyway and get some sensible people in who don't summons up the police to personal disputes and take out restraining orders when they can't have what they want.
I'm very sorry but that is the reality.