How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Ii wonder if you could give us some advice please. Last

Resolved Question:

Ii wonder if you could give us some advice please.
Last October we we purchased a 3 piece suite from Beautiful homes in Bishop Auckland ( but the we did it we paid it bit by bit and eventually had paid the full amount £899.99 but paid extra to cover any maintainance to the suite which came to £1094.99)
We moved house,in July and we called beautiful homes to let them know that the arm came loose on the 3 seater. We called into the shop to see if someone could come and look at the sofa, but was told that he would be on holiday and could not come out,
But it was repaired when he come home from holidays, and the person put more packing into the sofa at the same time. On the 1st Sept the spring had sprung on the 2 seater, they came out and we got that repaired. On the 11th of Sept the spring has went on the 3 seater and they will not repair it. They stopped our insurance which was supposed to cover us for 5 years.
We have been to the citizens advice and they have helped as much as they can by sending 2 letters but still they won`t give us any refund or replace the suite.
We got in touch with FIRA and they said that beautiful are not on their list and it would have cost us £150 which we cannot afford (we are old age pensioners).
We received a letter from beautiful home one the 21st November saying that they would like mediation, but they said that they could not get a hold of anyone, i did write an email to say that we would sit with them round the table to get a solution, but they have not replied.
I wonder if you could advice us if can take them to small claims court? We are anxious to geet this settled as my back is suffering, ( we have already got osteoarthritis) and we are suffering with a lot of pain. I feel this could have been settled long ago.
yours sincerely
Alison Birbeck
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at:  or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
If you paid on credit card (not debit card) then you should also contact your issuer as they are jointly liable under S.75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you