12826847

This week, I received a NIP the driver in a speeding offence in August this year

This week, I received a NIP for being the driver in a speeding offence in August this year. Not my car, have never been in that city, and the exact date and time of the incident, I was taking a church service witnessed by 80 people (I am a vicar). I have spoken to the police by phone, and was told "not to worry over Christmas." Some people have mentioned it is a well- known scam to accuse someone else is the driver, and often this will be a public figure whose details are readily available.
I have returned the NIP, with an explanatory letter and photocopies of the church registers. I could also supply 50 or so witness statements from the three services I took that day (88 miles away from the city where the incident happened) and even photos of me baptising three babies.
But I am still worried sick I will not be believed. What will happen next?
RevFio
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the police likely to prosecute me? Do I have the right to know the name of the registered keeper, who presumably was the actual driver, and was the one who gave the police my name? Or could I be called to give evidence against him/her?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends really.I don't think they can prosecute you for failing to identify as if your account is accepted you could not say who was driving.They could prosecute for speeding but then all you would have to do is raise evidence that it was not you.The bigger risk is perverting the course of justice but that is a high evidential test and they have no real evidence that you are giving false evidence on this point. If they believe your account then probably they will not.They may pursue the registered keeper.They may tell you the name of the registered keeper. It depends if they want a statement from you.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it worth me going into my local police station in Derbyshire to ask them about this? The NIP came from West Yorkshire police.
I am confused as to why the actual owner/driver/offender would lie about it being me. Obviously I would deny it, and it would bounce back on him. As the day concerned was a Sunday, it is incredibly easy for most vicars to be sure of exactly where they were and would have lots of witnesses. Presumably, if the police believe me, the driver will be facing greater penalties than just the speeding ticket?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, not really. They won't be able to comment.
They will have done a random search on the internet and found your details. Well known scam. Common amongst people with a background of making allegations of abuse in my opinion.
The person who filled out the NIP could well be prosecute for perverting the course of justice. There is a whole section of society that don't see anything wrong in lying to escape the course of justice so they won't have thought of that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's just that nothing like this has ever happened to me before, and I got really scared seeing the word 'prosecution'. I am not nieve, but find people's lack of honesty and integrity amazing.
Happy Christmas
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I used to as well. I have come to understand the shocking levels of dishonesty that members of the criminal classes find perfectly acceptable.