75100385

Madam I have an enquiry incident that took

Dear Sir/Madam
I have an enquiry for an incident that took place recently and it regards ***** ***** of medical expenses of uninsured EU citizens.
A Greek Citizen fell in the street and hit his head in the pavement and had to be transferred to the Royal Hospital in Whitechapel London for an operation that was deemed necessary to save his life.
The greek Citizen in question did not have an EU insurance card because he was long term unemployed and the Greek Authorities do not issue the EU insurance card for unemployed citizens
As he was in the uk only for two weeks he had not yet registered with a GP
The hospital alluded to medical costs, but before we open the discussion the family wanted to know what does the NHS law says about medical expenses for emergency life and death procedures, even when the person is uninsured.
Can you help? I am a friend of the family of the patient who happens to understand better english than they do.
The patient has been in the hospital for ten days and quite possibly they will tell them that they can leave today or tomorrow from the hospital and they book their flight for Greece on Friday.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Is there a cost please he has been provided with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, No but it could well run into the tens of thousands of £
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its bad news I am afraid, regardless of whether it was life or death if they are uninsured they are liable for the cost. The NHS will always complete treatment to stop someone from dying, but it will not be free, they would still be liable for a cost if they were uninsured.
But they will be able to leave and fly home. The NHS Trust will then pursue them for the cost of treatment. They could do this through the civil Court system and seek to get a European Enforcement order to have the Judgment transferred to Greece and enforced there.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, you are very clear, thank you very much for this.