12826847

My insurance ran out a few days before a minor accident. I

Customer Question

My insurance ran out a few days before a minor accident. I have now reinstated my insurance with the same insurer but I was unwittingly uninsured at the time. What are my options? I have a clean driving and criminal record. Whatever happens I will settle privately I think as I don't think the insurer will cover it (costs £1100). What kind of penalties/fines am I likely to encounter?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do the other side know that you are not insured?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thank you for your response. No they do not yet know.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you settle privately then it is quite unlikely they would report it. There is no reason to do so.
If they do report it then the police would almost certainly just give you a fixed penalty fine of 6 points and £200.
If they do summons you to court then that would be a waste of public money and poor exercise of their discretion but I suppose it does happen sometimes. Even then you would only get 6 points, a fine of 125-175 % of your weekly income and costs of £85.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo. I think that is all the information I need. I will settle privately and hope they don't report it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.