29905560

My friend and I did some work at a paid event a few months

Customer Question

My friend and I did some work at a paid event a few months ago. The payment came in to my bank account, however I do not believe my friend did enough work to justify paying her the sum of £440. What legal obligations do I have to pay her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have no written contract about the money. The amount was decided upon verbally. She has been contacting me through facebook to find out where the money is, to which I told her there had been problems at the bank as I was unsure how to tell her that I won't be paying her.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello can you please explain what exactly happened and what was expected of her and what she ended up doing? Also who was the employer here was it the company you worked for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were doing special effects makeup for a 9 day Halloween event. She was expected to do 7 peoples makeup per night and only did 3 at most, more often she only did 1. She also left immediately after the staff were ready to work, despite the fact we needed to stay behind and reapply makeup. This left me with a lot of work to do.
We are co-owners of our sfx business and were hired by the event that we worked at.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience delays.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry I got caught up with the Christmas rush and have not had a chance to consider this fully until now. Whilst she may not necessarily be entitled to the full amount which was initially agreed, she could still have a claim over a proportion of it. After all she still undertook some work and it’s not like he did not turn up at all. So in the circumstances you could try and argue that due to her not fully completing the work she was engaged to do, she should not be entitled to the full amount had she undertaken the work to a satisfactory level. As she still did some of the work, you could try and offer her a proportion of what you have received just so she does not go away empty handed, which could be unreasonable. How much you offer her is up to you two to negotiate over. If she is unhappy with what has been offered or you lay her nothing at all, she does have the right to challenge this further if needed – you cannot stop her from doing so but you could argue that due to the amount of work she did she should not get the full amount. She would have to take the matter to the small claims court and that would be the only official way she can force you to pay – unless she makes a claim and wins you cannot be forced to pay her anything.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.