75100385

I am a member of a sports club that is in the process of being

I am a member of a sports club that is in the process of being sold.
The rules state that "in the event of the ground being sold, only full members with a continuous membership of seven years or more shall be entitled to a share in the proceeds" and also "the seven year period will be calculated up to the date of the Club closing or the date of a binding contract to sell the ground, whichever shall be the earlier".
I am in my sixth year of membership. By 1st May 2016, I will pay in full the annual membership fee for my seventh year - the year of 1/5/16 to 30/4/17. If the ground is sold during that year, will I be entitled to a share in the proceeds ? I will have paid seven full years' membership fees, but the ground would have been sold during that seventh year.
I cannot get any clarification from the club, so would like independent legal views.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
No.
You will have paid fees but not actually completed 7 years membership. I read it as you need 7 years membership. You may have paid for the 7th year but not actually been a member for 7 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not in a position to have a phone discussion now, but may like to do this at a later date
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sure.
Can I clarify anything about the answer to your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand your response. I am not sure that I necessarily agree with it as membership is only offered in years, so paying for the year by the due date of May 1st gives me a full year of membership rights. Would you say that your answer is legally definitive or more just your opinion - one that others may view differently ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its possible that another lawyer may disagree, otherwise we would be all of out a job if there was not an interpretation. But in my view the term does not say you must have had paid up membership, it says you must have membership for 7 years. Therein lies the difficulty.
I realise its not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you but I have a duty to be honest.
The wording of the term is quite poor and could have been drafted better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfectly understood !
There is nothing at present, but there are many other issues regarding the sale that I may wish to discuss after Xmas.Geoff
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Of course Geoff.
Have a great Christmas.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/