How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10527
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My spouse is on second leave to remain through FLR(M) valid

Resolved Question:

My spouse is on second leave to remain through FLR(M) valid to June 2017. He is a Mexcian Citizen but has recently acquired Spanish citizenship. How do we let the UKBA know? Which passport should be used to travel to and from the Uk?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also wondered if using the Spanish passport / informing the UKBA resets the 5 year residency rules for UK citizenship for spouses or does existing time (now 3 years) still count?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. As your spouse is now a Spanish citizen, he no longer needs a visa to live and work in the UK. So he no longer needs to make any further application to the UKBA for a visa to live and work in the UK. he can come and go from the UK as he pleases, so long as he uses his Spanish passport to do so.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Accordingly, your spouse should now use his Spanish passport for all things whilst in the UK, including entering and leaving the country. He now has the ability to live and work, without a visa, in any of the countries of the EU, including the UK.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Be aware that your spouse can now apply for UK citizenship or settlement after five years in the UK. The three years he has already spent in the UK can count towards this five year period. Citizenship follows one year after settlement after six years.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. There is no need to "let the UKBA know" of his changed status. YOur spouse merely needs to use his Spanish passport now for all things in the UK.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions