How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10536
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am leaving with my partner and she don't want me to apply

Resolved Question:

I am leaving with my partner and she don't want me to apply for citizenship. how can I do this without her support I have been here more than 5 years. please albert
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, you don't need the support of your partner in order to apply for citizenship. One year after obtaining Indefinite Leave to REmain, you can apply for citizenship on your own. An application for citizenship is not like your previous application for a visa.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. When you were applying for a visa, you needed your partner's support. However, once you have lived five years in the UK and have Indefinite Leave to Remain, you have a free-standing right, which you can exercise yourself, to acquire UK citizenship. So just go ahead and apply
Buachaill and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you