Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I was wonderng when my aunt passed away last new years day

Customer Question

Hi i was wonderng when my aunt passed away last new years day in testate is there any way in which her nieces who tender to her needs for some considerable time before her death can claim more of her estate as opposed to it being divided between all relevant nieces and nephews who never did anything for her. This is Irish law .
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Under Irish law, the nieces who tended to their aunt's needs would have to show some form of agreement whereby they were to be paid for their services in tending to her. Otherwise, there is no provision in Irish Succession law whereby you get a greater share just because you look after someone.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. The rules of intestate succession in Ireland are mandatory and they don't allow for what happened before death. Accordingly, the nieces would have to show an agreement and raise a claim against their aunt's estate which would have to be paid before there was then an equal division among all the nieces and nephews.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my last aunt died this xms and i was wondering will my previous aunts share of her estate go to her . My last aunt had alzheimers had made a will just mentioning her assets nothing specific
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Can you better explain the situation? Are there two aunts? When did each die? what are their names? Did the first aunt who died mention the second aunt in her will?