12826847

Are camera parking fines valid ?. I have received a notice

Customer Question

Are camera parking fines valid ?. I have received a notice for parking on a bus stand at 19:45. This was not a bus lane or Clearway. I thought Government had outlawed these fines accept for bus lanes and clearways. Incidentally,I never got out of the vehicle,just pulled up to read a map.
Les Frank
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Who is the issuer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Harrow council
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is proper fine. The local council is an emanation of the state and can issue fines.
It used to be that they could not issue by CCTV but the Traffic Management Act 2004 allowed it as long as they were issued within 28 days.
You do have the normal routes of appeal. The definition of 'parking' though on the case law just requires that a person causes the vehicle to be brought to rest. You don't need to abandon the vehicle or even to switch the engine off.
You could ask them to revoke the fine using their discretionary grounds if you only stopped there to read a map though. There is no harm in doing that as they will only extend the discount period even if you are not successful.