Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I transferred a property from joint names via registration

Customer Question

I transferred a property from joint names via registration with the land registry to my
Name can this be considered as a sale...if valuation is provided..
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. A transfer can only be considered a sale if money passes hands for the transfer. Otherwise, the transfer is a gratuitous transfer for no consideration. This is because some consideration in legal terms (something of value) must pass in order for a transfer to be considered a "sale". Where nothing of value passes upon a transfer, then it is a voluntary or gratuitous transfer for no consideration. It is not a sale. The presence of a valuation makes no difference to the nature of the transfer.