75100385

On 23-12-15, I exited a town centre car park via a ramp and

Customer Question

On 23-12-15, I exited a town centre car park via a ramp and a short narrow exit way road behind another vehicle ahead of me. There are two rows of hatched white lines painted across the front of the exit intended to warn drivers to stop at the main road ahead turning left. There is no marked pedestrian path or footway across the front of the exit of the car park. However, I have now discovered that there is a pedestrian footpath finishing at either side of the car park exit. I exited the car park at 6pm and had to stop quite sharply in front of a pedestrian who was walking across the front of the car park exit inside the hatched white line. It was a shock to the pedestrian and to me and the pedestrian berated me. I did not touch the pedestrian with my car as I stopped short of him. I returned to the car park this morning to take photographs and I saw that pedestrians do in fact walk across the front of this dangerous exit although there is no footpath nor pedestrian traffic lights and there is a full footpath on the opposite side of the road. I am suffering now because at the time of my incident I thought the pedestrian had been foolish and even jay walking but did not stop to discuss the matter but drove out of the exit and carried on my way home. I suppose that the pedestrian could point out that it is allowed to walk across the front of the exit. If the pedestrian took my vehicle registration and reported the matter to the Police for which I have no way of knowing, should I go myself to report the matter to the local police even though there was not an accident and explain to them what happened? I would be very grateful of your advice.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
No you dont need to. There was no accident. You are only required to report to the Police if there has been an accident - there was not.
Therefore you do not need to do anything. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the pedestrian has reported this matter to the Police quoting my car registration number will the Police contact me to ask for a statement? There were no witnesses to my knowledge only myself and the pedestrian as there was no vehicle behind me at the car park exit.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes the Police may contact you. But if there was no accident you dont need to report.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you consider my description of the incident to be that I have broken any traffic laws please?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
From what you have said - no.
Does that help?
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you it does. It was a bit of a shock at the time and I still consider allowing crossing pedestrians to walk across at this location to be very dangerous. I was worried in hindsight that I did not stop to discuss the matter with the pedestrian. I hope the Police are not involved but if they are I will tell them truthfully the situation described in my original question to you and then hope they will allow me to move on. .
Kind Regards ***** ***** Happy New Year.
Christopher.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Indeed. Happy New year to you Christopher.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex,
When I raised my question I mistakenly thought I was on a free trial, although I remember ticking a box to pay up to £47.00. Because I thought the £47.00 was not to be charged, I ticked the box for a £10 Tip. Having checked my Credit Card Account I have been charged £47 + £10.
I would ask therefore if Just Answers would please refund to me the £10 Tip as I accept paying the fee of £47 but regret ticking the Tip box. This has nothing to do with your good service but the principal of even been asked to pay a Tip. Basically, I cannot afford £57 but accept £47. Please can you assist me in crediting the £10 to my account? However, I do not want to receive a charge pleas for answering this question if that is the way Just Answers works but would hope you can answer to me within the fee of the £47 already charged?
Kind Regards,
Chris
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could invite you to contact customer services please?