How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10782
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

A man and women have lived together than 20 years

Resolved Question:

A man and women have lived together for more than 20 years but have seperate bank accounts and the house is in their names but seperate. Tha man dies. His daughter wants alls his money and half the house value. the mother is still alive. is the daughter allowed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No will
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Can you better explain the situation. Were the man and woman married or not? Is the woman you refer to the mother of the daughter? Who is the mother of the daughter? In what part of the UK did the man die? Where did the man and woman live?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are not married but have lived together as partners for more than twenty years. The women is the daughter of the man who died and is taking money and property from his bank account and house. Also trying to get his insurance payout. I am asking on behalf of the women's daughter who is my sister-in-law. (I am in the New York). He died in or around Wooham, Surrey.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Woodham that is
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Here the woman who was living with the man needs to go to court and apply under the Inheritance (Rights of Dependents) act, 1975, and seek a share in the estate of the deceased man who was her live in partner. Otherwise, if the woman who lived with the man does not do so, then the daughter takes all his assets under the rules of intestacy. There is a six month time limit, taken from the date of death or the date probate is extracted to the deceased mans's estate within which to make the claim. This time limit can be extended at the discretion of the court. However, unless the live in partner makes such a claim, she will not be entitled to any of the deceased man/partner's estate.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you