Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have translated a book from Dutch into English. The Dutch

I have translated a book from Dutch into English. The Dutch author died more than 50 years ago, and her book is now out of print in Dutch. Do I own the copyright for my English translation?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. The translator always owns the copyright in a translation, as it is a creative derivative work derived from the original text. So, since the moment you translated the Dutch book into English, you owned the copyright in the translation. There is a new copyright created when a work is translated. However, the original work in Dutch continues to be covered by copyright until 70 years after the death fo the author. So even today, the original work in Dutch is covered by the original copyright. However, you own, and always owned the copyright in the English translation.