Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My husband is going from respite to a nursing home. A financial

Customer Question

My husband is going from respite to a nursing home. A financial assessment is due on Thursday. Due to his incontinence I need to replace a double bed and carpet etc in his old room. If I transfer money to cover this from our joint savings account will it be considered to be deliberate deprivation of assets
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. No, this will not be considered a deliberate deprivation of assets of your husband. Essentially, assets in a joint account are considered in law as belonging to both holders of the joint account. So these monies are equally considered yours in law as much as your husbands. So you can spend them as you see fit. Additionally, here, you are effectively spending them indirectly to benefit your husband in that you are replacing his double bed. So there is no element of deprivation of assets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you your excellent reply has simplified it. Only moot point is that the replacement means he will not benefit as will remain in the Nursing Home.I have to replace what he spoilt in order to move back into the room.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. That is not a difficulty. Ultimately, you are not dissipating assets or depriving your husband of them.