Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I work in a care home. Hearing aids, dentures and similar

I work in a care home. Hearing aids, dentures and similar personnel items often get mislaid and have to be replaced. Management believe that staff are responsible for these losses and will deduct the replacement costs from the wages of the staff on duty at the time the loss was reported. Are they entitled to make this deduction?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for the employer for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 months
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** anything in your contract of employment that specifically gives them the right to deduct for this reason?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I have paid the fee on behalf of my friend Kathrin Kemp. I do not have a copy of the contract of employment but will try to get this later. Kathrin is at work now and won't be back home until 20.00 today. May I reply tomorrow? Can you think of any other information you may need?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert that is all that I need. I can in fact answer this and you can refer to the contract later. If there is no contractual right to deduct then they cannot do it, it would amount to an unlawful deduction from wages. She can raise a grievance and claim the deducted sum in the employment tribunal. The employer cannot take action against her for doing this as she is simply enforcing a statutory right to pay. It may not make her very popular though! If the contract says they may make the deduction for this reason then unfortunately there will be very little she can do. If you have any further questions about this please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. I will be happy to answer your follow on questions after you have seen the contract itself.