Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am 63, my wife 68, we have been married 8years, I sold my

I am 63, my wife 68, we have been married 8years, I sold my house and moved in with her in her house, there is only her name on the deeds to the property, should I had my name and why, my wife has 2 grown up children, I have none, we have not wrote out a will yet
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
On the basis that you have retained the proceeds of Sale from your property, your Wife may indeed wish to leave her property to her 2 sons.
In these circumstances, it would be normal for your Wife to make a Will, leaving the property to her 2 sons with a proviso that you should be entilted to remain residing there until you die/decide to vacate, if you survive her.
This way, you gain protection, but she also protects her childrens financial interests.
You do really need to sit down with your Wife and discuss matters in general- if neither of you make a Will, each of you are likely to inherit the whole of the other's Estate.
Likewise, it is always best to put it down in black and white in a Will, to avoid any future family arguments.
Once you have had a chat, please make an appointment with a local Wills Solicitor who will be able to go through in detail all the options available to you, which are fair and reasonable to both parties.
I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.
Please let me know if you require any further clarification.
Kind Regards
Al
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We lived together for two years before marriage and wrote a will out then, is this still valid
Thanks for your reply.
Any Will made previous to a marriage becomes revoked (invalidated) once you get married, so your Wills are no longer valid, I'm afraid.
Kind Regards
Al