Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My dog was on lead with a head harness (not a

Hello...
My dog was on lead with a head harness (not a muzzle, its a head harness similar to a horses bridal which gives more control and pulls the head down shutting the dogs mouth when he pulls on the lead.)
I was walking/training my dog to sit on the corner of a pavement with my dog. i was standing next to a
A runner crossed from the opposite side of the road from an alleyway and ran on the road round the corner that i was on, she was running in the road... she then jumped onto the pavement 2 feet in front of and ran shoulder to shoulder to me...
my dog jumped up to say hello, due to her jumping up the kerb in front of us, he probably thought we knew her... his nose touched her arm. he did not bark or growl and was trying to say hello. his head harness pulled his nose down and his mouth was therefore shut.
.
I was training the dog getting him in a sit position as the runner approached and i was standing on a corner next to a sign post so was unable to back away.
.
The dog is a puppy hence why i was training him outside and why i use the head harness.
.
Where do i stand in the eyes of the law... I think the runner was silly jumping up so close to us, it made me think she was going to run into me as she was so close... I was standing next to a road sign so had to push the dog under the road sign in order to give me somewhere to move into in order for her not to run into me.
kind regards,
Leanne.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is she trying to bring a claim against you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, havent heard from her, she shouted at me in the street about her daughter being attacked by a dog previously so i think she must be scared of dogs from her over reaction... she didnt ask for my details - in fact she didnt let me speak at all... too busy shouting.
i have muzzled the dog - not because he needs it but in case i see her again, i dont want her to shout and scream at me again...
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
So she does not know your details?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, but i was walking very local to my home so it would be very easy for her to find out where i live.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** position is that you can be liable if your negligence has caused the dog to behave in a way that has caused her personal injury. There are hurdles for her to mount should she wish to pursue a claim of this nature. She would have to show that she has been injured and that it was your negligence (rather than her own actions in not looking where she was going that caused the harm). In all honesty I do not think she would have a claim in the circumstances you describe. You should note that pet insurance plans often cover injury to third parties so if this is something that concerns you you may want to investigate this option in the future. I you have any further questions please do ask.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this? If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer as I am not paid for answering this question unless a rating is received. Many thanks and happy new year to you?
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats great, thankyou.
you have answered my query and put my mind to rest. i was worried.
i will rate your answer as excellent. thankyou very much and Happy new year. :)
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Glad to have helped. Happy new year!