Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have caught my wife doing what she should not be doing, she

I have caught my wife doing what she should not be doing, she now is telling me to leave the family home, can she do this as I want to stay until I find somewhere else to live.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Without a court order she cannot change locks or exclude you from the property. As it is the family home, you have a right to live there and if the property is owned, you are able to register your matrimonial home rights with the land registry if the property is not in your name or joint names.
Even though you have temporarily moved out voluntarily, she is still not allowed to change the locks until there has been a formal long-term agreement.
I would suggest that you communicate with her in writing and request that you return to the property.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.