29905560

I bought a BMW X5 57 plate one week ago from a dealer, two

I bought a BMW X5 57 plate one week ago from a dealer, two days ago we left in holiday from London to Forres Scotland and the car broke in Lancaster living me , my wife and my 4 year old son on the motorway. After a day of hell we manage to rent a car and continue our journey. I spoke whit the dealer they told me that I suppose to pay half of the repairs of the car. My question is this normal? What I suppose to do to now?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What was the nature of the faults?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say it my be cam chain problem
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
When a person buys a second-hand vehicle from a dealer they will have certain rights under consumer laws. Your rights state that when you buy an item from a business seller it must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and match its description. If the car does not satisfy any of these, the dealer will be responsible. They will only be liable for faults that were present at the time the vehicle was sold, even if they become apparent later on. However, they will not be liable for fair wear and tear, misuse or accidental damage or any issues that were brought to the buyer’s attention before the sale. The age and value of the vehicle will also be relevant and the expectations of older vehicles will certainly be lower. If the vehicle does not meet the above requirements, the buyer can reject the vehicle and return it to the dealer requesting a refund. However, this will need to be done within a ‘reasonable period, which is usually 3-4 weeks after purchase. So if you wanted to you could reject the car for a full refund. If the buyer is too late to reject the vehicle, or they would rather get it repaired they could instead request that it is repaired or replaced without causing them significant inconvenience. The dealer may only reject a repair or replacement if it is impossible or disproportionate in the circumstances. If that happens, you are entitled to get it repaired elsewhere and claim back the repair costs, although there is an obvious risk in doing so as there is no guarantee in getting any of the money back. The dealer is incorrect in saying that you must pay for half the repairs – they are liable for the full repairs. If the dealer refuses to resolve this issue or accept any liability, you could take legal action against them. However, before going down that route you should try and resolve the issue directly with them by sending them a formal letter specifying how you want this matter resolved and giving them 7 days to respond. Advise them that if they fail to get back to you or deal with this in a satisfactory manner, you will have no other option but to report them to Trading Standards and issue legal proceedings to seek compensation. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you