13262538

If a joint account signatory dies what happens to the other

If a joint account signatory dies what happens to the other persons account
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
It is usual for the other account holder to have sole access to the account but this would depend on the terms of the specific account.
Who is the account held between?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brother in law (deceased) and myself the solicitor handling the will says the money in the account forms part of the estate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And says I'm not entitled to any monies left in the account
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Money in a joint account would normally mean that on the death of one of the joint account holders, the money would automatically pass to the other account holder and does not form part of the deceased's estate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thank you for that I will now await the outcome of the will
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Not to worry. Please rate my response positively if you found it helpful - I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family solicitor for more than 30 years.The answer hinges on what the purpose of the account was, where the money came from, and why it was held in joint names.If you give that information then it shoudl be possible to give a more specific answerClare
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.