12826847

There I booked a holiday to sharm el sheik Egypt 2 weeks

hi there I booked a holiday to sharm el sheik Egypt 2 weeks before the problems started and now I have asked to stay with the same company (on the beach) but go to a different location and have given them 6 months notice to do this but they want to charge me an extra £400 to do this or charge me £1200 for the flights if I cancel. where do I stand on this
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if you can force them to change at no extra cost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes and with 6 months notice and with what is happening out there why is it costing me so much
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I would imagine because it is a more expensive location.
Unless you agree cooling off rights with them they are not under a duty to offer anything at all. Come what may, you booked a holiday at X location and they have one available. You are locked into a contract.
It might be that your insurance or the contract itself offers some protection as world events do happen. However, unless they do, they are entitled to refuse or charge extra.
If you do cancel though they are under a duty to mitigate their loss by trying to sell the holiday to somebody else. I wouldn't rely on that though. Sharm El Sheik is not selling well at the moment. The position may change as it is a cheap holiday for people and it is diver's heaven so by the summer I would imagine they will have recovered to some extent.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I cancel my card and don't pay any more what can they do to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and the different location is the same price but they want another £200 to change flights and £230 for the hotel
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They could sue.
They probably would. They are aggressive now.
They wouldn't have done normally because they could have sold the holiday again but it is anybody's guess what will happen in Sharm. I don't think it will be as bad as they are expecting because there will always be people willing to take a risk for a cheap holiday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks it hasn't cleared it up for me and I am still a bit confused but thank you anyway