75100385

My friend got work done at her house. She did not get written quotes. Tradesman starte

Customer Question

Hi, my friend got work done at her house. She did not get written quotes. Tradesman started with small scope and talked here into increasing it as time went on. When final bill arrived it was outrageous (£8500). She paid £5500(for work which should have cost no more than £4000). Letters were exchanged. She offered £500 to settle. Tradesman threatened legal action and then registered a claim for £3000 via county court business centre. How should she proceed?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Can she get alternative quotes to see how much it should have done please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,
She did have quotes. The tradesman said he would do the work for the same price. His bill is for considerably more.
I thing it would be best for us to discuss the matter. I will accept your offer to do this.
David
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone number is(###) ###-####0929.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sure. I will call you shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand this question. Did you send me private contact info? I can't see that. David
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I will call you. I did just try and call twice but it was engaged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I think the phone was off the hook. David
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Just tried again and still engaged!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh dear there seems to be a problem. I've received a call this morning so I know the line is working. Phone number is(###) ###-####0929. I have alternative mobile number which is 07957-282996.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Trying that!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice. I will ask my friend to get 2 quotes for the work to support her contention that she's been over-charged. If she decides that it's going to be too much effort to do that, can she agree to pay the full amount owing now even after having submitted an acknowledgement of service? David
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is fine. Even when a defence is filed you can pay the full amount.