75100385

I am Treasurer of a CIC company. We are Bognor Pier Trust

I am Treasurer of a CIC company. We are Bognor Pier Trust CIC and we are working with the private owner to bring Bognor Regis Pier back into public Ownership and to restore it.
We shall be putting in our first round bid to the Enterprise Heritage Lottery Fund (EHLF) this year. we have received an initial start-up £10,000 from the EHLF and have also attracted funding from the Government Coastal revival fund in a £5,00 start-up grant and an additional £22,000 to help with the Bid writing.
My question regarding tax is about donations. There is much debate about whether bucket collected donations and/or other donations that are given freely and nothing is received in return, that there should not be TAXED.
Can you confirm the tax position for me.
Jan
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
I can confirm that where there is a donation, rather than income it should not be taxed. This is because the donor gets nothing in return. Where someone gets nothing in return it should be treated as a donation rather than income and as such not subject to tax.
So where you have a bucket collection, this should be free from tax.