Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I just read the news about the new law that can affect nurses

Customer Question

hi I just read the news about the new law that can affect nurses from april 2016... ie - nurses from non EU countries, working here for more than 5yrs but not earning 35,000 will be kicked out of the country.
basically, I am from a common wealth country and have been working here in the UK for more than 5 yrs. I HAVE been granted indefinite leave to remain a few years ago, but I have not yet applied for citizenship. can you please tell me if this new law would affect me?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. No, this law will not affect you. Once you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK this means you can continue to live in the UK without any issue as to whether you are working or not, or where you are working. It also gives you the right to apply for citizenship once you have lived in the UK FOR ONE YEAR after getting Indefinite Leave to Remain. So here, ths new law will not affect you as you have Indefinite Leave to Remain. However, I would suggest that you now apply for citizenship to finally make the status of living in the UK SECURE.