75100385

I have received a legal fee statement ( no invoice or any details)

I have received a legal fee statement ( no invoice or any details) for £ 900 following a brief enquiry about a claim that I had against a property developer. The legal firm concerned asked me to send them details of my claim which was for the refund of a Reservation Deposit. I did so which was a one page document. This legal firm said that before they could take on the matter they would need to undertake a conflict check and have some KYC data. All this to my knowledge was not done. Nor was a letter of Engagement entered into. A day later I received an unsolicited lengthy e mail setting out some qualified advice. In the time it took them to do this I engaged the services of my son's lawyer and the matter was settled one day later after the defendant's receipt of their letter- the total cost of that £ 600. How should I deal with this matter?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you sign any terms and conditions of business please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing at all.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - so you never formally instructed them, they just carried out checks etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was never an engagement letter or formal instruction as they said they still had to deal with all the compliance issues.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - then you dont need to pay anything. In order for their to be a valid invoice there must be a contract. They should, by the SRA rules send you terms of engagement and indeed as you to sign their business terms.
You did not and therefore you are not liable for the work they carried out. There is no signed contract as required by the rules setting out what they will do, who will do it, what charges you should expect etc.