12826847

I have 9 points on my licence and I have received a

Hello. I have 9 points on my licence and I have received a recent notice of speeding which was in a temporary speed restriction area that I did not see. I am very worried about losing my licence and although I have been offered a fixed penalty I do not know whether I should just pay it or try and write a letter of mitigation. Can you advise me please?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi JoI was caught speeding in a temporary restricted zone. It was 50 mph (I was doing 47, the same speed as everyone else) but apparently it temporarily went into a 40 mph zone before going back to 50. I already have 9 points on my licence and although I have been offered a fixed penalty I am worried that I may get a driving ban. I am not sure whether I should try and write a letter of mitigation or just pay the fixed penalty and hope that nothing further happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would really appreciate an answer by 2:30pm today as I shall be away after this and I need to send in my response preferably today. Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I can do a phone call now.
Or i can help online? the former will rack up the cost to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Online is fine - I just need a fairly brief but quick response please.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
There isn't really any point in a letter of mitigation per se.
You need to check the dates of your points and whether they are still in time.
If they are then your options are to put them to proof or put your hands up. The advantage of the former is that they may forget to summons. That does happens sometimes. The risk is that you may face greater costs.
A letter of mitigation is pointless though. All that will do is help the Crown by making admissions.
If they do summons then you need to ascertain whether or not you have grounds for exception hardship. If you do then you need to attend court to make that application and proof your position. Exceptional hardship does mean exceptional not just inconvenience though. It is possible but it does involve more work than people seem to believe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks Jo