Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My friend has refugee status. This summer after 5 ywears of

My friend has refugee status. This summer after 5 ywears of status she will apply for indefinate leave to remain.
Will she be able to travel in and out of the country without complications, especially within Europe?, or does she have to have to be a naturalised British citizen?
Barbara Sweeney
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, there will be nothing to prevent your friend from travelling in and out of the UK once she has Indefinite Leave to Remain. This is because once a person has Indefinite Leave to Remain this means that a person has the right to reside continuously in the UK INTO THE future. Be aware that a year after "settlement" and Indefinite Leave to Remain, your friend will be able to apply for UK citizenship which will solve any issues once and for all.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Be aware, Barbara, that a refugee is entitled to a convention travel document which entitles them to travel in and out of the UK WHEN THey please. So your friend should today apply for a convention travel document as she has refugee status. This is good for 10 years and would also enable your friend to travel once she has ILR, as it continues to be good for travel then.