12826847

I have a 95 year old mother who has dementia and is looked

Customer Question

I have a 95 year old mother who has dementia and is looked after in a specialist Care Home. My Mother is also partially deaf needing hearing aids to assist her hearing.
Since being under care my mother has lost two sets of hearing aids costing £600 a pair. After the first loss, I asked the Care Home to include removal and replacement of the hearing aids each evening/morning to be included into the Care Plan so that the aids were not lost again. This appears not to have been done since a second pair have now been lost.
It is my guess that my Mother is permitted to go to sleep with both aids I her ears. Since these then annoy her during the night she removes them and leaves them lying in the bedclothes. When the bed is changed in the morning the hearing aids are removed with the dirty wash which ends up in the laundry.
At £600 a pair, my mother cannot afford to replace these expensive items on a regular basis so I believe the home to be negligent and should assume their Duty of Care and replace the Hearing Aids.
John Raglan
[email protected]
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.