13262538

My mother and I were executors aunts will she died in

Customer Question

My mother and I were executors for my aunts will she died in 2014. 5 nephews and nieces including myself were entitled to a 20% share of a bond she held, the rest of the estate was to be divided between her surviving siblings my mother and her brother.
My brother was entitled to 20% share of a bond only but has been to a solicitor who has now asked me for lots of information regarding her accounts etc. As he is only a beneficiary of a defined part of the estate and I together with my mother had enduring power of attorney jointly or severally over my aunt until her death do I have to give this information. One of the accounts held for my aunt was jointly with myself on an either to sign basis and I assumed this money would revert to me on her death, is this correct.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Since your brother is only entitled to a share of the Bond - and id there was no Will he would have no claim at all then no he is not entitled to the extra information.
With regard to the account if your ant was aware that this would happen - the fact that it woudl revert to you - then yes it is yours
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a Will as I mentioned but it categorically stated that the bond was divided 5 ways between 5 nephews and nieces as she was unmarried and had no children and any remaining funds divided between siblings who survived her. Is my brother, or his solicitor entitled to any information regarding any of her other finances to which he wasn't a beneficiary. My mother her twin sister and I were joint executors and also jointly and severally enduring power of attonrey since 2004.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the typos and for not noticing them
As I said
Since your brother is only entitled to a share of the Bond - (and if there was no Will he would have no claim at all) then no he is not entitled to the extra information he is requesting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that, I have been approached by my brothers solicitor for this information but just want to clarify with you that he is only entitled to information about the bond which he is a beneficiary of along with 4 others. I appreciate your answer and hope I can relay it via e mail to the solicitor that has contacted me in the future should this be necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checking I can use the information you gave in my defence in the future.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi not sure whether you have finished the conversation with me but was just wanting this reassurance before I log off, please let me know if i can use your answer in my defence if it comes to that
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay - of course you can say that you have taken advice in dealing with your reply.
One option is to turn it round and ask his solicitor on what basis he thinks he is entitled to the information!