Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My neighbour said he went on the roof a few weeks ago and that his chimney is leaking and

My neighbour said he went on the roof a few weeks ago and that his chimney is leaking and it's caused by mine as well and that we need to have it done, initially I said they are separated so I don't have a problem but then I've since contacted my builder who said he can only do it/ have a look at it when it's safe as we have had very bad weather, the neighbour won't stop messaging me on watsapp asking when is it getting done as apparently it's leaking in his house which is still not proof it's my side causing the problem, I've told him time again it's the weather stopping it getting looked at, he is now threatening to see a solicitor but I've done nothing but cooperate with him, I feel very stressed and harassEd I'm also physically disabled and it's causing me sleepless nights, he keeps demanding my builders number but my builder does not want him to have it as he's been very unreasonabLe about the situation and he's trying to blame my chimney stack, can you advise
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Beverley my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Has he had a builder look at it who has said it is the part of the chimney on your property which is causing the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny thank you for getting back so quickly, he said he had a surveyor up there who said our chimneys have wear and tear and need flanching and pointing but he has no reports just pictures that he took himself so I'm not convinced he's had the surveyor round, in his first message he says his chimney is leaking, I can get you the message if you need it, my builder isn't convinced it's mine as he says they are separated but he said he'll have a look and if it is he's going to make it right but we've not had the right weather otherwise he would have had it done or looked at he's a family friend as well, I've not refused to sort it he just won't stop messaging me asking for my builders number, he either doesn't belive me or he's trying to get my builder to do his also or he's looking for funds from me, the last message was him saying he's going to a solicitor, thanks
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I would write him a note to say that your builder has told you that it is unlikely to be your chimney that is causing the problem but notwithstanding that you have asked your builder to investigate and he has agreed to do so when it is safe (explain that he cannot do it when it is raining). You should state that he has produced no evidence from a surveyor to support his position so you consider his constant contact to amount to harasssment.
If he does, in fact, instruct a solicitor I would not worry too much. He would still need to have evidence to support his position and no one would expect a builder to put their life at risk to investigate in inclement weather.
Is there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jenny, am I right in thinking he's got to prove it's my issue and even if it is I haven't refused to solve it (and I have proof on my phone)that he'll find it hard to have a case, also if he carries on messaging me should I call the police or is that wasting police time, I'm just fed up with it and tiered and working also, I wish I could control the weather to get some peace, I will write to him and send it signed for, thank you Jenny
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
No problem, you are correct in your understanding. It is not really appropriate to contact the police at this stage. Send him the letter first and if he continues to threaten or harass you after you have written and told him it is unwanted conduct they may get involved. If you have any further questions please ask, otherwise if I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid for my time working on your question. Thank you and all the best and do come back to me in the future if you need to.
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will do its a good service and very quick, I'll rate it now, cheers Jenny